Translate

May 01, 2016

Q&A Interview with Author and Film critic Trevor Pacelli


Each one of us has a story to tell and everyone we meet is fighting a battle we know nothing about. This section “The Q & A Interview with inspiring people” is dedicated to exceptional personalities, who either have something to educate us or to inspire us.
Today I want you to meet young Indie-Author Trevor Pacelli, who has published his first book at 19.


The Author Trevor Pacelli

Trevor is a 23-year-old with Autism who recently graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelors’ in Film and Media Studies and is pursuing a degree in screenwriting. He’s an Indie-Author, photograph and Movie Critic. Trevor was a 23-year-old with Autism who recently graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelors’ in Film and Media Studiesdiagnosed with Autism at age 5. Growing up autistic has been difficult not only for him but also for his parents and sister.  They all had to learn about autism and how to deal with it. Therefore Trevor wrote and published his book “Six Word Lessons on Growing Up Autistic“, because he deeply wants other families with autistic children to learn from his own experiences. 
 


The Book “Six-Word Lessons on Growing Up Autistic”
Trevor PacelliTrevor Pacelli
One percent of the population of children in the U.S.
aged 3-17 have an autism spectrum disorder…
Only 56% of students with autism finish high school…
One million Americans live with an autism spectrum disorder…

In Trevors book Readers find 100 short, practical tips to help understand the autistic person in their life, told through personal experiences by someone who has grown up autistic. 

The book is organized into ten chapters and available on Amazon. Download the first chapter “Suspecting that your Child has Autism” for FREE. It is an eye-opener even for people who never had to deal with autistic people. 
 
My Q & A Interview with American young Author and Film Blogger Trevor Pacelli


“Love is seeing everyone else around you as more important than yourself, regardless of what wrong they may have done.”

Trevor Pacelli

When did you feel that you are different than other kids?
The earliest I can remember being different from other kids was sometime in the middle of elementary school (that is, around 4th grade). This was when I began to take notice that I was more socially isolated than the other kids in my class, and that I struggled at making real friendships. But it was the beginning of high school when it really hit me; that I had no clue who to make friends with or how. Not just that, but others didn’t seem to really want to be friends with me, because they knew I was different.

How do people such as family, friends etc. deal with your autism?
My parents were always very supportive of my autism. They took many actions to help me, including speech therapy and some homeschooling. Even to this day they are dealing with my autism in any way that will best help me. I have one older sister, and she certainly seemed to have difficulty in dealing with my autism. We struggled to get along most of the time growing up, but then again, what siblings haven’t? As for my friends, it certainly took some time, but I did find several friends in high school and in college who accepted me for who I was and genuinely enjoyed spending time with me. Several of them I’m still in touch with to this day.

How did autism affect your daily life as a kid and now as an adult?

One thing that has always been an obstacle for me was advocating to sudden changes in schedule. I have always liked to set a routine down to the minute (and still do), so whenever sudden things would come up such as a last-minute night out to dinner with the family, it would seriously disorient me. Now, it’s more of an inconvenience to me than it is a total obstacle. My issues as an adult are more involving verbal communication. While I have proven to have an excellent written voice, my spoken voice drags quite a bit. What’s been difficult is my capability of taking my overly active thoughts and suddenly putting them into the right words.

 

What is your definition of autism, when you have to explain it to others?

Autism is a developmental condition where certain social skills such as speaking or comprehending others’ emotions take longer than average to develop. But their social weaknesses are benefited by some terrific strengths in a specific area of focus, such as music or biology. But even that’s a broad description, as the conditions related to autism are very different for each individual.
 
What is the most annoying misunderstanding in our society when it comes to dealing with autistic people?
A lot of people tend to think of autism as being a condition on intelligence. Say for instance, I had a friend once ask me if autism could be cured through enough educational training on mathematics and physics. Absolutely not! While many kids with autism may perform relatively worse in some school subjects than their peers, it does not automatically conclude that autism makes them dumb. It just means their specific interests are focused on something besides that subject.
 
When did you decide to publish a book about autism and why?
When I was in my freshman year at Bellevue College (before transferring to Arizona State University), I decided to write about my experiences growing up with autism and how I overcame various challenges. My parents had already owned their own publishing business (and still do) with a book series called, Six-Word Lessons as their trademark. What I wanted to do was contribute to that series with my book on Growing Up Autistic, so that other parents of autistic children as well as social workers can hear my story and get a sense of the autistic mind from a first-person perspective.
You have recently graduated from Arizona State University with a Bachelors’ in Film and Media Studies. Congratulations for this achievement. What are your plans for the future?
Thank you. Right now, I am working on three things: developing my own photography business (trevorpacelliphotography.com), developing my blog (trevorsviewonhollywood.com) and promoting the book on autism managed by my parents’ business (Consetta Group). What I hope for in the future is to set up a service where I can offer out movie suggestions for people depending on gender, age, preference on run length, favorite genre, and other factors. There are also other books that I am thinking about writing, but those are all just working ideas at this moment, nothing set in stone yet.
 
When did you find out your passion for film?
That’s a lot like asking when the absolute first computer was invented. I’m not sure exactly when I found my passion for film. While growing up, I always loved watching movies by Disney and Pixar, and was always able to list each of Pixar’s films chronologically by memory. When I sent in my application for Bellevue College, I scrolled through the list of majors to see what would best fit me. I simply concluded on picking “film studies” as my major, as it seemed to be the best fit for me. Turned out I was right! Once I got started in taking film courses, I finally got to watching the big Hollywood classics, and learning precisely how to watch and analyze a film. I still to this day love learning everything I can about how to watch a movie with a critical eye.
What is your favorite film of all time?
American Beauty. I already recommended it for the #MUSTC list on this blog, and for good reason. Everything about this movie just moved me to the core and changed everything I thought I knew about film. I love the performances, the story, the director’s vision but what most moves me is the message it has to say about what we define as beautiful. Every character in the film is instantly relatable in some way to a different part of your personality, and they all create the whole of the film’s timely message. It won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1999, and man was it well earned!
 
Last but not least what is your definition of Love in three words? What is your definition of Love in one sentence? Sure! Love: I am last. Love: To see everyone else around you as more important than yourself, regardless of what wrong they may have done. Also, would you mind mentioning also that my blog has a subscribe option for notifications on my movie reviews and monthly film recommendations? I'd really like to make sure the word on my site is getting out as much as possible. Hope that this is helpful!
Love: I am last.
Love: To see everyone else around you as more important than yourself, regardless of what wrong they may have done.
What a beautiful answer! You really touched my heart. What an amazing soul you are. God bless you and your loving family. Thank you very much for sharing your life story with us. I really do appreciate it. You are an inspiration for many people out there, who are dealing with a disorder. You’re the perfect example that if you’re passionate about something you can achieve all your goals. I wish you and your family the best of luck for the future and I truly hope that all your dreams and wishes come true.
 
Want to find out more about Trevor:
Follow him on Twitter @PacelliTrevor
Use Trevors Subscribe option for notifications on his movie reviews and monthly film recommendations!

http://www.amazon.com/Six-Word-Lessons-Growing-Autistic-Understand/dp/1933750294
 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EXA7952/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00EXA7952&linkCode=as2&tag=whatisautism-20
 
 
If you know any inspiring personality like Trevor, who should be discovered, supported, encouraged and promoted on my BLOG, please contact me and I will decide whether I will do a “Question and Answer Interview” and promote their work or not! Many thanks in advance and God bless. Lily
 
 
Picture Source: Thanks @Trevor!



No comments:

Post a Comment