Translate

February 18, 2016

Which celebrity inspired me to finish my first book “Destination: Freedom” part 3 from 4

Which celebrity inspired & encouraged me to finish my first book “Destination: Freedom”

Read part 1Read part 2
 
A year later, on December 7th, 1991, David came to Swiss again. This time with his David Concert Tour. Needless to say, Mom and I went to the concert. The show was fantastic and, this time, even his beautiful wife Pamela and his sweet daughter Taylor Anne came on stage. It was an unforgettable concert and it took my thoughts off of our everyday problems.

David’s music and the show were like ointment against my pain and sorrow. They helped me forget about everything, at least for a few hours. It was a kind of therapy – David was my personal therapist. It happened a lot of times that I just cried in desperation and listened to his music to calm me down. It was my escape in the next years. Other kids fought their sorrow with drugs, alcohol or boys – I had David’s music and shows. To be honest, I don’t know what I would have done without him. I was so grateful for his love and everything he gave to me and his fans. I guess people like him don’t realize what a wonderful influence they can have on others.
 
Three years later, on April 5th, 1994, David gave another concert and we had tickets for this concert as well. I always saved up my pocket money for David. Not because I was cheap, but because I knew how hard mom was working for the money. I either spent the money on birthday or Christmas presents for mom or I bought tapes by David or concert tickets.


This time, I didn’t know that I was going to see my dream dad in person again after four years. I was sitting in school unsuspectingly and a classmate of mine asked me whether I was going to David’s autographing. I didn’t know anything about that and thought she was messing with me.

But she explained very quickly that she wasn’t joking and that I should hurry. It was a few minutes before David’s autographing and I knew it would take me at least 15 minutes to get there. But I also had to tell mom that I wasn’t coming home for lunch. So I ran home like a bat out of hell. I was out of breath and could hardly speak. Mom was ironing and in her house clothes. I yelled: “David is in town giving autographs. Come! We have to go!” But mom stayed calm and continued her ironing. I was so excited. My heart was racing. And when I saw her so calm I yelled: “Mom, hurry! Please!” and she just said: “Okay, okay. I’m coming.”


I was going crazy from excitement and was so afraid that we would miss him. We made it just before the end of it and I was once again standing in front of my hero. David’s father Joe (RIP) was standing next to him. This autographing session was very well organized – there was no pushing or shoving. Everybody had the chance to see David and talk to him. So I approached him and said: “David, do you remember me?” What a stupid question. How could he have remembered me after four years? I had changed so much and he saw so many fans every day. He said: “Why? Where have we met before?” I explained that I gave him the painting four years ago. He remembered me right away and said that he still had that painting. He said that the frame broke during an earthquake in Los Angeles but the painting was still okay. I was so happy and asked him for a picture of the two of us. I told him that I would come to the concert in the evening and said that I was looking forward to it very much. He smiled at me and said: “I’ll see you tonight, then.”


I was overjoyed with seeing him again. But now I had to go back to school and eat something real quick. All of my classmates knew exactly what I did during lunch and grinned when I returned to class in the middle of the lesson. My teacher gave me a form to fill out and explain my reason for being late. As honest as I am, I wrote: “I came too late because I had to meet my dream dad.” My teacher smiled and knew exactly who I meant. Luckily, I didn’t get in trouble for it. The teacher understood and knew that I was never late for school and one of the best students in class. So it was okay this one time.

In the evening, I went to the concert with mom. David noticed me and even waved at me. This encounter was not going to be our last either.



Pictures Source: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment