Translate

October 26, 2015

Lily you publish your books by Amazon for Zero cost as you said. Are you saying publishing books doesn’t cost an Indie Author anything but time?


#asklily
Lily you publish your books by Amazon for Zero cost as you said.
Are you saying publishing books doesn’t cost an Indie Author anything but time?

I wish! It is interesting how readers underestimate the whole process of writing and publishing a book. Recently one of my readers asked me how long I needed to finish the first part of my trilogy “Destination: Freedom”. When I answered her that a book can take up to two years she was shocked! She said “What? But why does it take so long?”
 

I explained to her that the writing process is one thing. But once you’re finished with your final draft you need a professional editing and polishing, a cover and maybe illustration and translation. That takes allot of time. I don’t know how other Indie- Authors do it, but I had to “sacrifice” allot to be able to have my books ready for publishing. For example I didn’t go on Holliday. I only did window-shopping and so on.
 
I spend all of my savings for professional editing and polishing service and I had to do it in two languages: German and English. The good thing is that I do the designs and Illustrations myself with the support of my mum. For example for my second part of the trilogy “Definition of Freedom”, I took care of the translation from German to English myself. I simply couldn’t afford to hire a professional translator. But the translated version had to be polished by a professional Editor which again cost me money.

So to answer your question:
“No, publishing a book not only costs allot of time, energy and hope. It also costs money if you want to do it right.”

And unfortunately you have no guarantee that the money that you have invested will ever be returned. When you have a Publisher behind you, than you get at least a pre-payment before you start writing and even if you don’t sell one single book later, you haven’t done it for FREE. But as an Indie-Author you can only pray and hope for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment