Translate

October 13, 2015

Lily what was your bad experience with the Publishing contract you mentioned in your previous message?

#asklily

Lily what was your bad experience with the Publishing contract you mentioned in your previous message?

I 2012 I flew to London just to meet with a publisher, who as he said publishes books around the globe. He was introduced to me through an Literary Agent in London. So I was very hopeful. But he seriously asked for a cost-sharing fee for entering my book onto their list for £4,500, to be refunded in full after the sale of 2,000 copies. And as for the royalties, a standard royalty at 10% on the retail price for all copies sold through the book was the deal.


As if that was not shocking enough, the time for producing my first book “Destination: Freedom” (Which I have to mention was already professionally polished and ready for print) in its completed form for booksellers, was estimated between 12 to 18 months. I still have the contract and cannot believe how some writers agree to work with these "Want-2-b" publishing companies.

 
So last year when I found out about Amazons Publishing program for Independent writers, I thought these days with the possibilities that we have through Internet (professional Manuscript Services, professional online marketing services, Translation service and Social media) why on earth should I even consider working with a publishing company, when I can do everything on my own?

Yes, it is allot of work. And yes you have to put allot of time, believe and energy into it. But hey… you’re doing it for yourself and you don’t have to wait until someday, someone, maybe finally sees the potential in your writing and your stories! So I would recommend to any new writer Go for it. Don't waste your time like I did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment